Monday, April 5, 2010

In God's Hands

Hmm... realised that as part of the purpose of starting this blog was to keep people updated on what was happening with my journey on the ship, that I should probably updated as I have now been officially accepted by both OM Australia and the team on the Logos Hope itself! Yay.
And so continues the next part of the journey. OMA sent a book out called 'Friend Raising' by Betty Barnett. I haven't yet completed it, but it's a very interesting read so far, talking on the concept of building/maintaining relationships and that any financial support that comes from that is simply a blessing, putting money into its correct place - far, far, down the ladder of importance (another blog to come on this topic, I think).

As one of my concerns had previously been maintaining relationships with those back home during my absence, this book is a great help. Building and maintaining relationships is something God first began to really push to me when in Melbourne during the original pre-field training for OM. A large part of the book actually deals with communication and maintaining relationships - something of more concern and importance to me than the finance, as I'm sure that if this mission is truly God's will then He will provide therefore the finances are not resting heavily with me, rather a chance to see God work and His glory to prevail!

So far, I think the biggest thing God is using the mission for - even if I never actually go - is my parents. Not yet believers, they are very much struggling at the moment. Only just accepting that "maybe this God-thing isn't a phase anymore" (after four years - what a very long phase!), to then hear about the plans for the ship and all that entails... Firstly, that their only daughter will be going away from them for 2 years - this, they would have gotten over eventually; it's not like I haven't lived out from under their roof for two years already. Secondly, however, that I want to go with a Christian organisation to spread the word about something they aren't sure actually exists! And thirdly - and perhaps this concerns them the most, I need to pay to do this trip. $1500/month over at least 2 years is quite a large sum and without having faith in an awesome God to provide (He's proven His faithfulness in all things including finance to me many times already), this greatly worries them.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
-Proverbs 3:5-6

Aside from all their concerns however, the opportunities to discuss the mission trip, what it entails, why I'm doing it, who God is, what He's done in my life and more about Him - these are all subjects now discussed quite often at the dinner table, for the first time ever. Praise God. They are never easy discussions - I don't like my parents looking at me as if they are contemplating whether a mental institution might be a good idea and mum has openly said she thinks I'm partially brain-washed - however God is being discussed in this house!!! I gave them a copy of Lee Strobel's 'A Case for the Resurrection' this Easter with the hope that at least one of them will actually read it.

God has had His hand on this family for awhile now - how else does a young child of non-believers get sent to Christian summer camp for 5 years running!? How does a man have intensive surgery near his brain with only 20% chance of success and come through completely unscarred? How does a man get healed from cancer - if not for God? God's been prompting me in this area for awhile now and whenever I've gone to make a move, something massive happens that causes me to withdraw. This situation has made me increasingly aware of the battlefield and the spiritual warfare that we are in whenever we move to further God's kingdom.

"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
-2 Cor. 10:3-5.

God is moving in my household. It may take time - maybe years, however I have every faith in Him who sees all, knows all, loves all. Right now, He is calling me to step up in this fight and if you have a moment, I'd love for you to pray for my parents and feel free to keep me accountable on the steps I'm taking with them as God leads.

1 comment:

  1. It was God who first invented the family. He states bluntly He puts the lonely in families. Nor is it only non~believing parents who create these problems for their children. It is all part of the process of becoming more like Christ. Thanks to our flesh that is never going to be an easy process ~ BUT, it is so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete