Monday, April 19, 2010

Obedience to God


"The golden rule for understanding in spiritual matters is not intellect, but obedience."

-Oswald Chambers

"Our love is a response to God's love. Likewise our obedience flows from our gratitude of what He has done for us".
Jack Kuhatschek


How much does my obeying or disobeying God affect things? There are the big things and the little things. The big things such as listening to the direction He has for your life or if He shouts "NO!" but you decide to go your own way... If I had been disobedient to God in the big things, I wouldn't be qualified as a school teacher or heading out to the mission field next year. But what about the little things? (I know one could argue that the little things can have a huge impact also, but please just go with me on this one for the moment!) If He gives me a word to share in church and I don't step up and do it, then He will often give it to somebody else to say and it will get said either way, so the church doesn't miss out however YOU then miss out on the blessing of having stepped out and been obedient, of knowing that really was God speaking to you and of being a blessing to somebody else.

However in other situations - such as in the supermarket and God gives you a word for a random person. Fear may hold you back - fear of rejection and ridicule, what the other person may think. However if you hold back in such a situation, is somebody else then going to step into the aisle and say, "well I have a word for you" in your place? Not usually. So then it affects the other person - if God truly has His hand on their life and you were supposed to be a step towards bringing them into relationship with Him, He will use other stepping stones, however how does that impact things? Our God is a big God and He can do things without us yet usually chooses to include us and offer us the opportunity to be a part of His plan.

And what about in my own home? God has made it clear to me that I am to speak with my father about his beliefs and to go back to the healing that occurred in his life a few years ago from cancer. Back then I didn't use it as a step towards spiritual healing (yes he was physically healed, but I believe it's better to be a sick person going to heaven than a healthy one going to hell...) however God has brought it up to me in recent times saying it's not too late. In fact, if I had brought it up with dad back then it may not have done much except perhaps tear us apart. Now, it may do the same thing, however my parents already think so lowly of my beliefs and the fact that I choose to cling to them and live my life accordingly that it can't get any worse and the only thing at stake here is my parents salvation - something worth making myself look foolish for.

I believe it's also a test of my obedience; when that moment comes, when God nudges me and says "now is the time, speak up", will I be obedient or will I chicken out? That's also when the matter comes up: is it being courageous and brave, or merely trusting and having faith? Being obedient to God shouldn't be about us, about me, but simply stepping out in faith, albeit a bigger step than usual! I sincerely hope I will be obedient and act upon the measure of faith given to me, however it's a real possibility that I may chicken out. I have no real idea what to say to dad beyond the initial question. I guess it's just a case of trusting that if God tells me to say something that He will then give me the words...

John 15:9-10 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love."

This is where the question of obedience stops being a question, in my eyes. It's a command - "remain in my love". How do we do that? "Obey my commands". It's as simple as that really. In theory, anyway...

Please pray that this will be the case, that I won't chicken out when God says it's time, that I'll be sensitive to His guiding particularly as this conversation takes place and continual prayer for both my parents would be appreciated if you have a moment.

1 comment:

  1. There is such a thing as being right in the wrong way. No good in believing the right things but expressing them in such a way as to alienate your intended target.

    The word for you is still 1 Peter 3. As a single unmarried woman your father is your spiritual head & the respect & reverence with with you live under his roof will speak more volumes than any words. Women want to be loved but men need to be respected. Remember too that honouring your mother & father is the first commandment with a promise attached.

    This too is obedience ~ to train ourselves to have the gentle & tranquil spirit that is pleasing to God [1Peter 3~4]. [Different translations have other words but the end result is a meek & submissive spirit]

    At the risk of taking over your comment box & trying to cram a sermon's worth into a few words it was Solomon who noted it was better to have a dry crust eaten in peace than a brawling woman in a wide house. How you say, & more importantly, how you live, says far more than your words ~ because I would bet your dad knows at least the bare bones of the gospel but why should he believe it if he sees no difference in you, in your life? These are the people who know you best, know you inside out. Do you display the joy of the Lord when things go catawumpus? Does a quiet word from you avert wrath? Are the fruits of the spirit evident in your life?

    It is so much easier to work on any area other than ourselves & almost always it is ourselves the Lord insists we change first.

    Just some random thoughts because you do know that it is neither your place nor your job to change someone's heart. That is the Holy Spirit's job. You are just the messenger but seriously, it is *not* all about words.

    ReplyDelete