Monday, August 9, 2010

Moments


"You are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God's place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things." -Christopher McCandless, Into the Wild


I absolutely love watching God work and particularly enjoy it when he uses me in his plans, that I get to see small parts of his plans and workings in not just my life, but also in others lives!

As I shared earlier, the past week has seen me getting out of a spiritual slump of sorts. Strengthening my awareness of God and what he's doing, I have had the privilege of seeing the beginning, middle and ends of various journeys. It's also special how often they link up - that one meeting flows from another or that you'll be made aware of a few people sharing similar circumstances and as you see parts of one, God uses it to show you how best to approach the next.

I was recently part of TeenStreet, a 6 day camp aimed at Christian highschoolers (ages 13-17). For 6 days, life consists of a main meeting where the teens are taught the principle of double vision: loving God (through God time - prayer and Bible reading, walking the narrow path, and having a net of mentors, peers and people to disciple around you) and loving others (serving, supporting and sharing your story). This is backed up with quiet time, small groups, activities/games and worship. The small groups were 6 teens and 2 leaders; this was an incredible time of sharing about God and seeing them learning about him in different ways and coming to know and want him as a bigger part of their lives.

Through TeenStreet I have also formed some incredible friendships for life. This week, one of the campers from TS opened up and shared about some of the challenges he has been facing over the past few years and how he feels that God has been setting him free, culminating at TS!

Another perk of being involved with something such as TS are the connections you can make. I was invited to help out at Shift2010. This was a Christian youth music event with over 3000 teens in attendance! Twice during the night, a gospel presentation was made through the Lifehouse Skit (if you have a few minutes, check this out it is incredibly powerful and moving) which was then explained, a testimony was given and the youth were offered a chance to respond. I had the privilege of praying for the first time with 2 teens that I had earlier connected with at the TeenStreet stall we had been running.

At school this week, I had a spare hour where I was able to connect with one of my students. I am not allowed to proselytise at school, however if a student asks a question then I am free to answer. This girl was asking about Christianity, what is prayer, sharing her journey and asking how Christ fit into that - I was overjoyed to be able to answer her questions and share with her!

A friend I haven't seen since highschool reconnected with me this week. She is going through interesting times, having declared herself a lesbian and living with her girlfriend (15 years her senior) and her girlfriend's 2 children. As we shared about our lives and she discovered that I follow Christ and yet had continued to talk with her even though I know about her choices, she has started asking questions as to why that is and many more things about God.

As we make ourselves available to Christ's leading in our lives, we will be part of special moments and see incredible things. I hope I have been a blessing to some of these people - they have certainly been a blessing to me! What special moments has God been showing you recently?

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing how God's plans unfold & how wide he casts His net & how the various bits of the body work together ~ especially I think because my gift focus is quite narrow & directed to strengthening & uplifting the people of God rather than outreaching to unbelievers.

    Did you link to the how to fast sites from Seeking's blog? They are very good ~ especially they point out how to concentrate your focus to get the maximum spiritual benefit from a fast. I did a 3 day fast to offer my support when she hit the halfway mark & will fast again on Thursday, which is Seeking's Wednesday & a fast day for her normally anyway. I may continue it through for another 3 days. I mention it because sometimes it is helpful to know others are also fasting if you were keen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's part of the beauty of the body of Christ! That we all have different giftings that work together beautifully. I seem to be gifted with the outreach but once a person accepts Christ, it is merely the beginning of their journey. I'm learning and improving on that part of it, but we need people whom God has specially gifted - I know I appreciate when you strengthen me and I'm sure many others do to, Ganeida!

    Yes, I've had a look at the sites Seeking recommended and I plan to approach fasting seriously this time. I am lucky enough to have each Monday off and the original plan was to set that day aside for God; however I'm incredibly lazy and it hasn't happened near as often as I'd planned/would like. I think I will try to start it up properly again and also make it a fasting day. If you could keep me accountable by asking me how it's going from time to time and what fruit I see, that'd be much appreciated :)

    (This was almost a whole post in itself - I'll have to blog about the outcome)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do. ☺ We all tend to pander to our flesh ~ which is why fasting is so beneficial. I can never quite believe how food obssessed a fast can make me. lol

    I think this is why Lib & I tend to work well together. She outreaches; I strengthen & support her. Miss her prayer discernment when she is not here. Better get used to it I guess...☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol I bet! :) I definitely will, I can't wait to see what I'll have to report.

    Thank God for email and phone calls at least... She is incredibly blessed to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, yes, we do rather seem to have a mutal admiration society going on. ☺ Should see us when we fight though. Definitely NOT pretty...

    ReplyDelete